Saturday, December 4, 2010

Organic Banana Bread

We had a bunch of organic bananas in our Urban Acres share. We ate some, but the rest were starting to get overripe, so banana bread was the solution.

I again broke out The Joy of Cooking and found this recipe:

I didn't know what the word "Cockaigne" meant, so I looked it up. 'Cause I'm a dork like that.

From the World English Dictionary: medieval legend an imaginary land of luxury and idleness. Also, from Old French cocaigne, from Middle Low German kōkenje: small cake (of which the houses in the imaginary land are built); related to Spanish cucaña, Italian cuccagna.
Alrighty then.
I substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup of oat flour for the all-purpose flour. I also used 1 and 3/4 cups of mashed bananas (because that's what we had). Instead of using white sugar, I used Florida Crystals organic cane sugar.
The bread is great for snacking or for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment