Sunday, December 5, 2010

Month 2, Week 2 Budget and Menu Planning

I learned three very important lessons this weekend:

1. Do not take your kids to Whole Foods with you to shop.

2. Do not shop without a specific list or plan.

3. Do not shop when you are starving and haven't eaten all day.


That being said, I spent $50 on my Urban Acres share. It included tons of yummy produce. I'm not yet sure how I'm going to prepare the napa cabbage or the bok choy, but everything is cleaned, prepped and put away.

Here are the totals (I'm already in bed and not in front of the scanner, so no picture of the receipt):

Whole Foods, $118.71

  • Organic salted popcorn, $1.99
  • 365 Corn Flakes (Whole Foods Brand is 365), $2.69
  • 365 organic chicken broth, $1.99
  • Organic vanilla soy milk, 1 gallon, $5.69
  • Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes, $1.50
  • Canned tomatoes, $1.49
  • Chocolate strawberry yogurt pretzels from bulk bin, $2.66
  • 365 organic pinto beans, $1.49
  • 365 organic crushed tomatoes, $1.99
  • 365 organic red kidney beans, $1.49
  • 365 organic cage free eggs, 2 dozen, $7.98
  • 365 raisin bran, $2.69
  • Cinnamon crunch cereal, $3.79
  • Bulk peanut butter, $2.11
  • Bulk long grain brown rice, $.67
  • Organic valley milk, 1 gallon, $5.99
  • Beef stew meat, $6.69
  • Buffalo stew meat, $4.47 and $4.63
  • Pork shoulder steak, $2.66
  • Buffalo London Broil, $7.10 and $6.92
  • Pork Chops, $3.79
  • Organic string cheese, $5.99 (See Learning Point Number One)
  • White American cheese, $1.10
  • Honey maple turkey, $4.44
  • Salami, $4.95
  • Slider buns, 8 pack, $1.99
  • Tortillas, $1.99
  • Tomato tortillas, $2.49
  • 6 mini cupcakes, $3.96 (See Learning Point Number 1 Again)
  • 5 granny smith organic apples, $2.99
  • avacado, $2.49 (Learning Point Number Three, I was jonesing for Mexican food)
  • Lemons, $1.91
  • Tomato, $1.72
  • I also picked up a box of Wheat Thins at CVS for $4.89. (Outrageous, I tell you.)

    The total for this week was $163.60. This means that next week my budget will be $56.40. That shouldn't be a problem, though, because I got tons of meat this week and still have a lot of fish and chicken in the freezer, too.

    Saturday night we had mini-buffalo burgers with fresh fruit. I used the ground buffalo from last week, the slider buns and cheese from this week, and sliced up some fruit from the share. It was delicious!

    I made beef chili today, using the beef stew meat, crushed tomatoes, and canned beans I got this weekend. I added a can of tomato sauce, cannelini beans, garlic and chipotle chili seasoning we already had. We ate it for lunch, Stephen will take some to work this week and I put some in the freezer for later.

    Dinner tomorrow night is going to be stir fry with brown rice and lean buffalo. I'll stir fry red bell pepper, carrot, celery, shitake mushrooms, broccoli and bok choy with garlic and soy sauce. If there are any leftovers, they will go in someone's lunch.

    Have a great week everyone!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment