Wednesday, December 8, 2010

$2 Lunch Challenge: Day Three


Today I went with the standard peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The bread and peanut butter are from Whole Foods. The jelly: not so much. It's leftover from before the big organic makeover. So, admittedly, it's not great. It's total junk, actually, but I only used a small amount. I'm going to rationalize this so I feel better. Avert your eyes.


Here's the breakdown of my daughter's lunch that cost $2.07:
  • Bread, $0.25
  • Peanut Butter, $0.06
  • Jelly, $0.02
  • Fruit Salad (organic apples, tangerines and kiwi), $0.80
  • I drizzled local raw honey on the fruit, $0.04
  • Raw organic veggies (celery, carrots, radish, grape tomatoes), $0.33
  • Ranch for dipping, $0.05
  • Wheat thins, $0.30
  • 2 strawberry yogurt chocolate pretzels, $0.22

My son's lunch was the same, except I didn't include the raw veggies and ranch. I included more wheat thins and pretzels. His lunch totaled $2.03.

Had my kiddos eaten at school, I could have parted with $4.25 each and they could have eaten:

Crunchy Tacos, 387 calories
Savory Spanish Rice, 67 calories
Refried Beans, 126 calories
Fresh Melon Slices, 86 calories
Dessert, 124 calories
Total, 791 calories

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's odd that dessert is exactly 124 calories every single day? Is it the same dessert each time?

No comments:

Post a Comment