Monday, November 8, 2010

Week 2: Shopping on the Budget

This week I spent more than $110, but it was Urban Acres pick-up week and I took advantage of some great sales at Sprouts. Sprouts was having a sale on certain Thanksgiving items (20% off). I stocked up on olive oil, a big ticket item. It's normally $10 a bottle, but I was able to get it for $5.60.

Two of the items on sale were Organic Pumpkin Puree and organic whole wheat frozen pie crusts (two in the package). The puree had a recipe for pumpkin pie on the label, which I will make this week or next. I'll use the other pie crust to make a quiche with our Urban Acres produce.

Urban Acres, $50

Sprouts, $79.08

The recipe is like a hundred foot long scroll, so I'll just summarize what I got without individual prices. I did save $12.37 by using coupons and taking advantage of 20% off sale.
  • Sprouts organic bread
  • Sprouts frozen pizza crust dough
  • Bulk black beans
  • Bulk semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Bulk granola
  • Bulk ground cloves
  • Bulk brown rice
  • Stoneyfield Yogurt
  • Organic butter
  • Organic eggs (2 cartons)
  • Organic sour cream (1 carton)
  • Organic Valley mild cheddar
  • Goat cheese
  • Frozen organic pie shells
  • Organic cane sugar (Florida Crystals)
  • Pacific organic cream of mushroom soup
  • Pacific organic chicken broth
  • Pacific organic vegetable broth
  • Active dry yeast
  • Chipotle seasoning
  • 2 bottle Sprouts olive oil
  • 1 can organic pumpkin pie puree
  • Rye flour
  • Beef flank steak
  • Chicken breast tenders
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Organic apples
We made a Walmart run for tortillas to go with the crockpot fajitas I'm going to make this week, raisins to make Cranberry Raisin Bread (my daughter brought the recipe home from school), and the pumpkin pie. When I was standing in the middle of the store I couldn't remember whether the recipe called for evaporated milk or sweetened condensed milk, so I got both. I didn't want to have to run out to the store again.

Walmart, $9 (I can't find the receipt, so I'm estimating here)
  • Freshly made tortillas, $2.50
  • Raisins, $1.38
  • Evaporated milk, $.98
  • Sweetened condensed milk, $1.98
Whole Foods, $14.33

  • Buffalo Steak (1 pound)
  • Organic Valley Milk (1 gallon)

Total for Week 2: $79.08 + $9 + $14.33 +$50 = $152.49 - $6.19 overage from last week = $146.22.

This leaves me with an overage of $36.22 for next week, which won't be a problem. Next week isn't a produce week, so $73.78 should be plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment