Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Stuffed Organic Squash

As part of our Urban Acres share, we got these babies:


Yeah, I didn't know what they were either. According to Urban Acres, they are called Eight Ball and One Ball Squash. Who knew?

I followed the recipe for baked stuff squash they provided with my share and that's what we had for dinner Sunday night. The kids liked the stuffing, but weren't fans of the squash itself. Baby steps, right?

How'd I make it? I cut the squash in half, put them in the baking dish and added some water to the bottom. I baked it covered at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes until they were tender.


While the squash was baking, I rounded up my other ingredients and started chopping. I prepped 2 green bell peppers, 1/4 of an onion, and 1 small One Ball Squash (or whichever one is yellow).


Then, just for fun I looked at what else was in the refrigerator. I pulled out some carrots and this little green pepper I got from one of my colleagues (she is a master gardener). I have no idea what kind it is, but it's awfully cute, don't you think?

I added a little olive oil to a saute pan and let the veggies do their thing. I added a dash of salt and pepper and said to myself, "Self, it needs something else." So, I added some herbs de provence. I don't have a clue what is actually in herbs de provence, but I like to say it out loud. I sound tres magnifique. (My friend who is fluent in french is probably cringing right now.) A few minutes later, I added a dash of soy sauce.
Once the vegetables were done, I cooked some turkey sausage, added back the vegetables and the brown rice remaining in the bag (about 2 cups). I stuffed the squash with the stuffing mixture and voila:


This was a really great way to start the week. Stephen took the leftovers for lunch the next day. This is definitely something I'll make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment