Thursday, October 21, 2010

Expired

After sleeping off the food poisoning, I figured the first step in the renovation of our eating habits would be to tackle the refrigerator, freezer and pantry. I tossed everything that was expired or unrecognizable. A previously packed pantry, spice cabinet and refrigerator soon led to four very full, incredibly heavy garbage bags.

I was sort of okay with things that expired this year, as in 2010. I got a little more uncomfortable when we got back to 2008. When I got to 2007, I was really scared. Then, I got to this:



I didn't quite know how to react. I mean, I'd been using it. I looked around at the bags of expired and awful food. The food that I had been eating, feeding to my family, and wondered if it had contributed to my health issues. If it was contributing to a depressed immune system for my kids. I try to avoid melodrama, but, what if?

"Mom, we don't have very much food," my son replied upon surveying the now depleted contents of the frig.

Yeah, I'm okay with that. And I'm going to start filling it up with healthy, unprocessed food.

No comments:

Post a Comment