Friday, March 23, 2012

A New Discovery

I have been schooled. In a good way.

Yesterday I discovered Bea Johnson of Zero Waste Home. Holy cow. She blogs about reducing waste. It's amazing what she has been able to accomplish.

In six months, all of the trash her family of 4 generated can fit into the palm of her hand.

It made me think hard about what my family is doing. We generate so much trash (and a lot of recyclables). It's not unusual for us to fill up a full trash bin (overflowing, hoping the trash guys don't revolt) and still have more trash in other bins each week. The recycle bin is usually full, as well.

Our house is full of clutter. We are all guilty. I have a lot of books, paper and clothes. My husband has tools, more clothes than me (yes, really) and books and paper. The kids - oh, the toys. My son is pretty good, he's not a packrat like the rest of us. My daughter's room makes me want to cry with all of the clothes, toys, paper, dolls and MESS.

And waste.

Just as I was excited when I discovered Michael Pollan, which prompted me to do some research, so did Bea Johnson get me excited about reducing and simplifying. I've been doing more research, this time about ways to reduce our trash generation. The first step is to arm yourself with knowledge.

You don't know what you don't know.

But now I know. And I'm gonna do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment